Haematology involves diagnosing and treating patients who have blood disorders.
For example, this may include patient's blood cancers such as leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma that require chemotherapy or screening for diseases like malaria.
Frimley Health's haematology department at Frimley Park Hospital comprises clinical areas and a laboratory analytical area, which is part of Partnership Pathology Services (a joint venture with a number of neighbouring NHS hospitals trusts).
Wexham Park Hospital also has a main laboratory that is part of Partnership Pathology, and a walk-in service for routine blood tests, and there is a smaller transport hub at Heatherwood Hospital.
The clinical areas care for patients with blood cancers or those who need anticoagulation treatment, providing diagnosis, treatment and monitoring.
The main role of the haematology lab is to process blood samples from inpatients, outpatients and GP surgeries to aid patient care and diagnosis. The work of our laboratories includes:
- Full blood counts
- Glandular fever screening
- Malaria screening
- Red cell folate testing
- Blood and bone marrow morphology investigation
- Coagulation screens
- Thrombophilia investigation
- Lupus testing
- Von Willebrand screening
- Antenatal haemoglobinopathy screening
- Anticoagulant monitoring
The lab also has analysts who are able to carry out tests at the bedside or at clinics, known as point of care testing. Point of care testing also takes place at community hospitals where the trust runs services, such as Aldershot Centre for Health.
Opening hours for blood tests
- Frimley Park Hospital (outpatients department 1): Monday to Friday 8.30am-4.45pm. This clinic is for patients referred by clinicians from Frimley Health only. It is not a walk-in clinic for patients with a GP referral.
- Wexham Park Hospital, Slough: Monday to Friday 7.30am-5pm.
- Heatherwood Hospital, Ascot: Monday to Friday 8.30am-4.30pm. Closed 10.30-10.45am and 1-1.30pm.
- St Mark's Hospital, Maidenhead: Monday to Friday 8.30am-1pm. Closed 10.30-10.45am and 1-1.30pm Wednesday and Thursday.
- Kind Edward VII Hospital, Maidenhead: Monday to Friday 8.30am-1pm, with extended hours to 4.30pm on Wednesday and Thursday. Closed 10.30-10.45am and 1-1.30pm Wednesday and Thursday.
- Farnham Hospital (outpatients department): Monday to Friday 8am-4.15pm.
- Aldershot Centre for Health: Monday to Friday 8am-4.45pm.
For further information about the service provided by Frimley Health, please visit the Surrey Pathology Services website.