Study Leave for Junior Doctors
Foundation Year 1: (from start of New Contract; pro-rata to academic year)
- 15 days (time only) to be spread equally over the placements which includes mandatory day for ILS, half a day for Clinical Simulation, half a day for Career Workshop, taster week (1-5 days) & ALS for those who want to take ALS (not mandatory).
- No study leave funding is available for F1s.
Foundation Year 2:
- 30 days to be spread equally over the placements.
- Study leave whilst in General Practice adheres to the same process as when working in acute trust.
- Funding for study leave is limited to £600 per annum (pro-rata).
- F2s must ensure they use the study leave funding for mandatory courses i.e. ALS, as additional funding is not available.
- No private study available for F2s
Core (CTs) and Specialty Registrars (STRs) (including GPVTS trainees when in their hospital posts), Clinical Fellows/Trust Doctors (juniors):
- Entitlement up to a maximum of 30 days Study Leave per year. This normally includes 20 days per annum for Locally Provided educational activity including obligatory training and the core or specialty curriculum teaching programmes.
- This leaves 10 days for discretionary study leave each year adjusted proportionally for length of attachment.
Private Study Leave
This will only be granted for a defined purpose such as examination preparation (if the examination in question is necessary for career progression), writing up research and writing review papers etc.
- Trainees may apply for 5 days of private study leave in any 12 month period
- Private study leave requests may be considered leading up to an examination that is necessary for career progression but this will only be considered prior to the first occasion that the trainee sits this examination.
Study Leave Process
- Applications are made either using an application form (hard copy) or online (via CRMS). The application process will depend on specialty – please check with your manpower coordinator which system is used for that specialty.
- Applications must be submitted for every episode of study leave – whether requesting time and funding, time only or funding only.
- Application forms (hard copy) are available from the Trust Intranet (under Forms) and from the Postgraduate Centre.
- Completed forms must be approved by your educational supervisor and relevant manpower coordinator before sending to PGMC for final authorization by the Clinical Tutor.
- Unauthorized forms will be returned consequently delaying the application process.
- Authorised applications (all) must be received in the PGMC office six weeks prior to dates of study leave request.
- Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- The Study Leave Officer will email confirmation letter (with claim form if applicable) to your Trust email address. Personal emails will not be used.
- Expenses claims: completed expenses claim form must be received in PGMC, no later than 60 working days after course, with original receipts and a copy of the certificate of attendance.
- Payment will be mad through Payroll (payments will be made in the following month’s pay-run).
- No overseas expenses will be approved.